Urban Neighborhood Initiatives works with communities in urban neighborhoods to build safe and thriving environments where people want to live, work, and play.
UNI At A Glance
To make urban neighborhoods vital, healthy environments that strengthen individuals and support families.
We are inspired by a vision of community where people have hope, education is valued, families are strong, and opportunities abound.
We target critical neighborhood needs often in collaboration with other area agencies making significant community investments, block clubs and educational and youth serving groups targeting the Springwells area. Accordingly, UNI addresses programmatic gaps to support a sustainable, vital community. Within the Springwells community, UNI has the following programmatic goals:
- Economic development through the creation of public assets, workforce development and enhancing the visibility of the community.
- Beautification through public art, green projects and community clean up.
- Fostering a culture which promotes education from early childhood through adulthood.
- Enhancing housing through home upgrades and blight elimination.
- Improving long term community safety.
- Facilitating the growth of strong community based leadership among adults and youth.
- Improving health and well being through lifestyle services and community dialog.
UNI Annual Community Christmas Party - Saturday, December 12th from 12:30 - 3 p.m. at the All Saints Neighborhood Center and Springdale Green Park.
Our 2015 video produced by Michael Glinski and Andrew Stefanik of Iron Coast Detroit.
View a WXYZ TV-Channel 7 feature on Southwest Rides, southwest Detroit's only full service bike shop and a UNI affiliate.