Who's missing from this space?
We have lots of ideas on how you can help support our work in building vital neighborhoods! If one of our suggestions below interests you (or maybe you have some for us) please contact us at 313.451.8380 and/or email email@example.com.
Pay us a visit (or let us pay you one)
Southwest Detroit is one of Detroit's most diverse, densely populated and historically significant communities made up of a number of neighborhoods, including Springwells Village where UNI is based. We invite you to come and see for yourself a neighborhood which has held fast to the fabric and history of its community while holding tremendous promise for its residents. We welcome the opportunity to host groups (small or large) so that you may get to know us and the community we serve. Or if time constraints don't allow for a visit, please consider allowing us to meet with your company, civic group, congregation etc. on-site.
Volunteers are invaluable to UNI. In 2014 we were privileged to work with more than 1000 volunteers including residents, business owners, corporate and faith based groups, students, Detroiters and Detroit supporters -- all of them folks who believe our city's future rests in its neighborhoods. Here are some ways you can put in some sweat equity:
Keep Parks Beautiful: Springwells Village is proud of its growing network of parks and green spaces. Annually thousands of bulbs are planted. It takes lots of hands to maintain playscapes and theme gardens of perennial grasses, flowers as well as flowering and fruit-bearing shrubs. Join area residents and businesses to help keep our neighborhood parks beautiful.
Board and Committee Membership: Help build UNI through Board or Committee service.
Fix-it, Paint-it, Clean-it: Whether its keeping our community center shining, a neighborhood beautification day, painting a mural or securing a vacant structure, there are plenty of hands on opportunities.
Make a tax-deductible contribution. Its easy.
Click here to donate online on a secure connection.
Sponsor a Project
Consider sponsoring one of our ongoing neighborhood based projects:
- The Lawndale Center - UNI is currently working to re-develop a former Moose Lodge building into a major community resource.
- A youth sports team
- Maintaining a community park
- Our Annual event or our community holiday events
- A community beautification day
- A mural by our Southwest Urban Arts Mural Program
Make a gift of Equipment or Materials
- Park and Green space supplies: Our ongoing "wish list" includes work gloves, safety glasses, lawn and leaf bags, rakes, shovels, brooms, cutting tools, trimmers, weed wackers and of course, mulch, bulbs, annuals and perennials.
- Food items: Pre-packaged nutritious snacks and bottled water are welcome. Please consider donating other food items to the All Saints Soup Kitchen and Food Pantry located at 7824 W. Fort St. Contact them at 313.841.1428 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also visit their website at www.asskdetroit.org.
- Artist and Office Supplies.
- Vehicles: Automobiles and trucks in good condition can be re-sold or raffled to our benefit.
Office Equipment Donation Program
Donate suites of commercial office furnishings and our business partner, Bargain Office Equipment, will pick up your equipment and sell it through their Detroit warehouse showroom. UNI will receive the proceeds for the wholesale value of the donation. Only commercial office furnishings in quantity qualify for this project. You may contact Brad Emsley of Bargain Office Equipment at 877.588.3888 or UNI for more information.